Friday, August 21, 2009

Developmental Screening

Alayah had her second developmental screening today and again she tested above her age in everything except language. She is doing things at about the 21 month level and higher in most areas, but when it comes to her expressive language she is only at 13 months. At her 13 month screening she was at 11 months for her language and now she is 19 months and even further behind. Her infections are what the speech pathologist is blaming the delay on because she gained several words during the two months she went without an ear infection. She is starting to get ear infections again and I am afraid she is just going to continue to get further behind. We have an appointment with her pediatrician next week and I am going to push the topic of tubes. The speech pathologist and I both agree that it would help. There is no point in her getting therapy if she can't hear the words we are trying to teach her. Her doctor kept saying wait till summer and then they will go away. Well its summer and she still has them so I'm tired of waiting. She has had an ear infection every single month since last September. I am tired of them and I am sure Alayah is too.

1 comment:

Sweet Patience said...

Hey, I have been missing from blogging for a while. I hate that I missed this post. Yes, definitely move forward with the pe tubes. We do not want her falling behind with her sounds, especially with her history with ear infections. I am shocked that your pediatrician did not suggest the tubes. Keep me posted. I'm a speech pathologist and it is a terrible thing to have a child delayed because they can not hear. The first couple of years are crucial to development. You know how to contact me if you have any questions. Just email me.

 

web page counters
Travelocity Coupons